Friday, 30 December 2016

Filled Under:

808 killed in Southern Kaduna says Archdiocese of Kafanchan

EL-Rufai
The Catholic Archdiocese of Kafanchan has said the unrest in Southern Kaduna State has claimed 808 lives.
Fifty three villages have so far been
attacked and 57 people injured, the church said.
Governor Nasir el Rufai had earlier said the attackers were foreign Fulani herdsmen avenging past attacks on them and their livestock.
But, the state and federal governments have been accused of not doing enough to end the bloodshed.
The latest killing last week took place despite a curfew imposed on three local governments affected by the crisis.
At a press conference, alongside four other clerics, yesterday, Vicar General of the Catholic Archdiocese of Kafanchan, Ibrahim Yakubu, said government has failed to protect locals.
Yakubu said four local government areas have been attacked, with 808 people killed and 1,422 houses, 16 Churches, 19 shops, and one primary school destroyed.
“Unfortunately, our governments, both at the centre and at the state levels have failed woefully. If anything, government has shown outright partisanship in favour of the herdsmen, to the disappointment of the majority Southern Kaduna indigenes and Christians.”
The religious leaders called for an immediate end to attacks in the area, and demanded compensation for all families who lost loved ones or property.
They also called for the setting up of a Commission of Inquiry to investigate the causes of the crisis.
“We call on Southern Kaduna indigenes to remain steadfast in prayer, united, strong and never to cave in to the antics of our adversaries. Tribe and denominational differences shouldn’t put a chasm between us,” the statement said.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Popular News